Saturday, December 31, 2011

Romania in pictures

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here are about 20,000 words worth! However, if you prefer to read 20,000 words, check out my other posts about Romania. :)

Part One

Part Two



A very tired Pete on our last leg of the journey--a teeny prop plane that left us all a little queasy.



We heart motion-sickness drugs!



The enormous Christmas tree in the Targu Mures town square where we took all the kids. This shot was taken from our hotel room--what a view!



Don't let the background fool you. This isn't someone's property out in the Romanian contryside--it's the zoo! Here I am with my little friend ...



Some of the kids posing in front of the Christmas tree after we went to the zoo.



This is one of the teenage girls I really loved getting to know.






Look at her beautiful eyes! This is another of the teenagers I loved talking to. Her English was great, and we got to have some cool conversations.



This is what much of the housing looks like in Romanian cities. Some of the orphan homes are in buildings like these.



A few of us from the team playing cards with the kids at their house. This was a home full of boys--it was definitely one of the nicer ones we saw. It was so fun playing cards with them, and a great way to breach the language barrier.



Here we are with all the kids from that house.



I know you're not supposed to have favorites, but if you read my last post, you know that I don't always play by the rules. This little boy definitely captured my attention, and we had some fun times playing games and laughing. He shares my sarcastic sense of humor, so obvi we hit it off right away. Miss this guy! His sister and he are both orphans in the same home. They thought it was so cool that Pete and I were brother and sister too.



Pete with his ever-present groupies. They called him their Justin Beiber. SO cute.



This is one of the group homes singing Christmas songs. After they sang, each of the kids gave their candle to someone in the audience. I was one of the lucky ones. :)



One of my favorite Christmas gifts this year.



Another group doing their skit. These two girls are absolutely precious, playing Silent Night on their recorders.



Acting out the Christmas story, which transcends all languages!



My friend with his Christmas presents--look at that smile and tell me you don't want to keep him!



The girls loving their pizza.



I love this picture ...



Having fun with the icing. This is another of my favorite pictures--this girl is a delight!



Merry Christmas!!

No comments: